what is opensip?
OpenSIPS (Open SIP Server) is a mature Open Source implementation of a SIP server. OpenSIPS is more than a SIP proxy/router as it includes application-level functionalities. OpenSIPS, as a SIP server, is the core component of any SIP-based VoIP solution. With a very flexible and customizable routing engine, OpenSIPS unifies voice, video, IM and presence services in a highly efficient way, thanks to its scalable (modular) design.
What OpenSIPS has to offer, comes in a reliable and high-performance flavour – OpenSIPS is one of the fastest SIP servers, with a throughput that confirms it as a solution up to enterprise or carrier-grade class.
OpenSIPS has to offer many important and interesting features. To mention some of the most important ones:
- SIP registrar server
- SIP router / proxy (lcr, dynamic routing, dialplan features)
- SIP redirect server
- SIP presence agent
- SIP back-to-back User Agent
- SIP IM server (chat and end-2-end IM)
- SIP to SMS gateway (bidirectional)
- SIP to XMPP gateway for presence and IM (bidirectional)
- SIP load-balancer or dispatcher
- SIP front end for gateways/asterisk
- SIP NAT traversal unit
- SIP application server